May 27, 2008

Too Early for a Crisis

In the last two months, I've heard from five women whose husbands decided to leave them for other women, or to reclaim their "singlehood". All these women are between the ages of 45 and 55 years old, somewhat well-adjusted, desirable, and interesting. They all have children that are doing well, and everything, from the outside looking in, seems idyllic.
These women, for the most part, seem pretty matter-of-fact about their situation, and had been expecting it for a while. I'm not sure why all of these situations are happening at the same time. Perhaps it's because I've been sharing a little bit more about my personal situation, which is causing me grief as well. But I do admit that it's not particularly encouraging to see that men seem predominantly to leave their partners in the lurch, despite sometimes decades of compromises, sacrifice, and selflessness by their wives.

I'm completely traumatized by all these mid-life crisis', 20 years too early.

Source

No comments: