December 30, 2006

I was going to wish you a Happy New Year's...

...but instead, I am going to wish you a Happy Tabaski.

The last time I thought about this Muslim ceremony was in Senegal in January 2005 (see “Disconnect Thoughts” post). And this year, it happens to fall on December 30th 2006 which almost perfectly coincides with New Year’s Eve.



[Children Washing their Sheep in the Ocean in Dakar, Senegal]

I still receive security messages from my Warden in Senegal. He warns all American citizens to be very careful of Tabaski festivities as Anti-American sentiments are high this holiday season. Why? Because Saddam Hussein just died by hanging.

I had no idea Senegalese people felt so strongly about Mr. Hussein. And oddly enough, I feel sorry for this crazy man who, even at the moment of his death, is seems completely unaware of what was going on (CNN reports “The judge said Hussein appeared "totally oblivious to what was going on around him. I was very surprised. He was not afraid of death.")

It makes me sad to see the pictures (I couldn’t bring my self to watch the video), as he was brought into the room in a well cut suit. His nicely combed hair disheveled, his eyes round with anticipation, staring at faceless men in black ski hats.

Is it wrong to feel sorry for such a man? I really can't help myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - didn't even think of Tabaski until I popped here :o)

Happy NY to you and see you SOOON in DC :o)

John Gerard Sapodilla said...

Please, send my regards and best wishes to Sarah Sahara, Strudel is missing her sharp pen. My regards and best wishes to Ms. Beav, the Ants Hunter, too... Uhmmm, did I forget anyone? Strudel

Anonymous said...

So did you buy your sheep? :)
About feeling sorry for Saddam, in a way it's big of you to feel sorry for a condemned man, and lots of people are against the death penalty in general (I am, most of the time :). But remember what this guy did! Even if you take American and Kurdish propaganda with a grain of salt, he still was no saint :).
Still, I'm not sure executing him so quickly was a good idea... Might make things worse.
-Ammo

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog.

Carl said...

Saddam knew exactly what was going on. He verbally sparred with his executioners right to the end. The rat-bastard died well. He got what was coming to him; too bad he didn't get it sooner.