May 18, 2007

Angélique Kidjo


I went to see Angélique Kidjo yesterday and it was electric.

Kidjo was born in Ouidah, Benin but relocated to Paris in 1982 following continuing political conflicts in her country. She's a Beninese (from Benin) singer, songwriter whose style is a strange mix of rock/pop and piercing African voices, instruments and beats.

Angélique is so electric, that she manage to get people up and dancing everytime (this is feat in a crowd full of self-important Washington DC suits). By the end of her concert, 1/5 of the audience was on the stage, booty-shaking along with her. She was moving in and out of the thick crowd, creating a strange symbiosis of people, lead by her powerful, but bodiless voice.

It was bitter sweet for me as well, as it coincided with the break-up of a person I admire and appreciate greatly. In a recent email to a friend, I wrote:

It's such a cop-out when people say "my boyfriend and I broke-up " because, at the end of the day, it's a lot more than a school crush. It's a break-up with a good friend, a carer, a lover, and a future father. It's also a leap of faith to leave someone who loves you and whom you love. Who's to say that someone else will love you again? And find your bad habits charming?

3 comments:

Beaver said...

I remember seeing Angelique onstage at the Roll Back Malaria concert in Dakar, with Andrea, Bran and Sarah. It was absolutely brilliant !

Sorry about the break up. *hugs*

Unknown said...

Hello i believe i spoke to you before i was raised in Senegal too and live in New York City now
i manage a website about Benin where Angelqiue Kidjo is from
I am glad you enjoyed the concert now check out this page you should see her latest cd
BENIN NEWS ON
http://www.niger1.com/benin.html
moub21@Gmail.com

007 in Africa said...

Beaver, was I still around for that concert? Too bad I missed it there.

Mous ous, thanks for the note, I look forward to checking out here latest CD. She played a bunch of songs from that.