July 28, 2009

On Becoming

For some strange reason, I've been spending a lot of my time on youtube, looking at people's video diaries, as they transition from male to female; and female to male.

These individuals are usually reflective, often funny, many times insightful.  Concerned with recording their transition, they get excited about voice changes, body fat redistribution, hair changes; or sometimes record the sadness of not transforming quickly enough.  It becomes a rite a passage of sorts, and is fascinating to see their physical changes, and the intense elation that comes with finally becoming something they've always felt cheated out of.

The journeys are hard, physically painful and slow.  The operations are gruesome, and take away the very parts they were born with.  But I've never heard it described with such poetry and spirituality as Unmeasuredinstances does:



And you feel reborn.  And I remember thinking, Oh My God, this is real.  This is real.  It was the sweetest sleep of my life.  I can't tell you how important that process was for me.  A sense of being born, a sense of spiritual awakening.

Makes me understand the intense joy of Becoming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having second about being a woman? I can understand that :)
-Ammo

Anonymous said...

not planning any big changes, are you?

Beaver said...

Did you ever read Jamieson Green's Becoming a Visible Man ?

If the subject interests you, you probably should pick it up. It's very insightful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, August is over now, get back to posting on your blog, you lazy bum!
-Ammo