April 21, 2005

The Stupidest Person in the World

**Alternative title "Honesty, Thy Name is Woman"**

Since there are no cash or credit card machines in the country and almost no places accept checks, one has to go to the bank once a month to take out a lump sum of money. I bravely went up to the cashier, showed my passport, flashed my whitest smile and asked for, well, a lot of money. I wrote him a nice check, he handed me the money and I went off to the side to count it all...

...only to find that he gave me $400 more than I had written the check for! At this point in the story, you probably think that "the Stupidest Person in the World" is the cashier. Wait, there's more.

What I did at this point (apart from the full two minutes of debating "do I? do I not?") was walk up to the cashier's window, and give the money back to him. What??

I'm still reeling from the implications of that. Does it mean that I'm honest? I guess so. Does $400 really matter in a country to mismanages its money so much that there aren't decent roads even in the capital? Probably not. Did the cashier appreciate this gesture or he is used to making mistakes of that scale?

I think it's safe to say that I'll be winning this year's award for "Stupidest Person in the World".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you miscounted and he had the original amount correct ;)

Anonymous said...

That's what I think too :) But, that would still make her the stupidest person in the world :)
-Ammo

007 in Africa said...

Hey! No concerting as to what might make me even stupider...Beside, I counted the amount 4 or 5 times, just to make sure. Wish I had had a calculator though.

Kate said...

aw, you're not stupid 007! that was an awesome thing you did, and you should be proud of yourself! not many people would do that.

kimikimikimi said...

I would have done the exact same thing. And then, like you, I would have smacked my forhead several times, saying "stupid stupid stupid" while doing so.

Anonymous said...

Non, non, tu n'es pas la plus stupide mais honnete. Je suis tres fiere de ma fille!!!!

bisous.

Mom.

Beaver said...

Nobody EVER EVER said it was going to be easy being honest. I guess that's why honest people are usually worthy of admiration.

Anonymous said...

I think that you did a great thing. The money probably would have come out of the cashier's pocket. The cashier was probably poor, and couldn't afford that loss.
You are a great person, and should be proud.