March 13, 2012

Treatment Progress: February 11, 2012


I experience my first transvaginal ultrasound and blood draw at 7:30 a.m.  Thankfully, the DC medical office is on the same metro line as my work, so I’m able to hop on the metro after the appointment and be at work on time.

I have a normal uterus, with 8 follicles in my right ovary, and 18 follicles in my left ovary.  The 18 follicles are arranged in a curve-like shape around the border of my left ovary – often called “pearl configuration”.  I was first told when I was 16 years old that my hormonal levels probably indicated that I had PCOS.  But this is the first time – 18 years later - that my condition is confirmed by ultrasound.

These are my baseline readings:

Estrogen Level – 38.3 (doctors prefer this to be lower than 50)
Luteinizing Hormone – 14.0
Follicle Stimulating Hormone – 6.12 (should be less than 10)
Prolactin – 10.6 (should be less than 25)
Thyroid – 2.47 (should be less than 4)

The ultrasound shows no abnormality with the uterus and the ovaries.    My nurse tells me to start the birth control pill today.

No comments: