May 09, 2007

Fruit Seller

There's this guy that parks himself and his fruit crates right in the front of our (huge) office building. It strikes me as ironic that he sells things in the same manner as a typical Congolese or Senegalese vendor would--though the fruits are different (apples, chocolate covered strawberries, trail mix versus bananas, mangos and mangosteens)--the crates and the quiet demeanor are the same.

While my Congolese and Senegalese colleagues would flock to vendors for the sake of finding cheap foods, I imagine my American colleagues are looking for some healthy fairs.

This guy must make a killing: the line is always 7 or 8 people long. It's refreshing to see that people are excited about the fresh-fruits-and-nuts-guy instead of rushing to the cheetos-cheetah and snapple-lady.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's interesting... Maybe I should set up my own stand in NY :). Start a new franchise, with even more coverage than Starbucks!
-Ammo